With more people now living in urban areas than not, the rise of the city has been influential. Today, there are 33 megacities—cities with more than 10 million people living in them. Not only that, by 2030, there will be six more.
Asia has 41 out of the top 100 visited cities, making it a key player in global tourism
Euromonitor International’s city arrivals research covers over 600 cities, showing the most popular destinations across the world in 2018 (here are the top 10 most visited countries if you need that info). Here’s the top 50:
Most visited cities In the world
50. Cairo – Egypt (4,388.6 million)
Cairo is growing fast in popularity, thanks to the region becoming more stable. Oh, and those famous pyramids of course.
49. Athens – Greece (4,797.4 million)
Athens is a super base from which to explore the Greek islands and ancient architecture of Europe.
48. Moscow – Russia (4,800.0 million)
Moscow is becoming a famous city to visit, with tourists flocking over for the beautiful squares and churches.
47. Florence – Italy (4,941.3 million)
Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, with culture, fantastic food and scenery all rolled into one.
46. Dublin – Ireland (4,986.5 million)
Dublin may be small, but it’s also mighty. The Irish capital packs a lot into its city and is a great place to spend a weekend. The most Instagrammable spots in Ireland.
45. Chennai – India (5,086.3 million)
Chennai on the Bay of Bengal in eastern India is a hugely busy IT and tech hub and will continue to rise.
44. Orlando – US (5,269.0 million)
Home to Disney World and plenty of sunshine, Orlando is a winner with families and couples alike.
43. Madrid – Spain (5,275.2 million)
Spain’s central capital is known for its rich collection of European art and elegant streets.
42. Jaipur – India (5,288.6 million)
Jaipur – the ‘Pink City’ – is an exciting mix of classic architecture, bustling street markets and a 16th-century Royal Palace.
41. Venice – Italy (5,316.4 million)
Venice is a stunning city of shaded Piazzas, and romantic boat trips through the canals and luxurious hotels.
40. Riyadh – Saudi Arabia (5,396.8 million)
, Saudi Arabia’s capital and central financial hub, has distinct landmarks and is becoming an exciting hub.
39. Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam (5,500.0 million)
Formerly Saigon, this southern Vietnamese city is a metropolis of history and culture.
38. Johannesburg – South Africa (5,535.5 million)
Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa and one of the 50 largest urban areas in the world.
37. Johor Bahru – Malaysia (5,571.4 million)
With a bridge from the Straits of Johor connecting it to Singapore, this city is a great place to explore Asia from.
36. Berlin – Germany (5,627.4 million)
Germany’s most relaxed city, Berlin enjoys steady levels of tourism from visitors across the world who want to experience its unique atmosphere.
35. Cancún – Mexico (6,039.0 million)
Accessible for Spring Break for US students, Cancun is also an ideal honeymoon destination.
34. Vienna – Austria (6,067.1 million)
Vienna is a charming city, where legendary figures such as Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud all called home.
33. Denpasar – Indonesia (6,238.3 million)
This is the largest city of the island of Bali, making it a trendy place for travellers to visit while they explore the Indonesian islands. One of the most visited cities on the planet.
32. Milan – Italy (6,347.9 million)
The stylish fashion capital has incredible cathedrals, green city parks and a thriving food and drink scene.
31. Barcelona – Spain (6,530.1 million)
Home to Gaudi’s iconic works of art, a scenic beachfront and cosy tapas bars, it’s no wonder Barcelona appeals to so many.
30. Osaka – Japan (6,605.9 million)
Come to Osaka for its modern architecture, nightlife and hearty street food.
29. Agra – India (6,644.4 million)
The closest city to the Taj Mahal, millions of people make the trip to see this majestic wonder every year.
28. Las Vegas – US (6,687.8 million)
The party city shows no sign of slowing down, with casinos, upscale boutiques and luxury hotels all part of its pull.
27. Los Angeles – US (7,165.0 million)
LA is a city for fitness fans, as well as celebrity hunters – or celeb wannabes – who hope to catch sight of a star.
26. Shanghai – China (7,193.3 million)
Shanghai, on China’s central coast, is the country’s biggest city and a global financial hub.
25. Pattaya – Thailand (7,426.2 million)
Once a quiet fishing village, Pattaya is now famous for its beaches, cabaret bars and 24-hour clubs. Check out the beautiful islands of Koh Samui or Phuket when there.
24. Seoul – South Korea (7,659.1 million)
Seoul is a fun city where you can experience K-Pop, modern skyscrapers, high-tech subways and pop culture. A magical place and one of the most visited cities in the world.
23. Amsterdam – Netherlands (7,848.0 million)
A beautiful city to explore – by bike, tram or foot – Amsterdam is a consistently popular choice.
22. Miami – US (8,075.8 million)
The Miami area offers something for everyone – trendy nightlife, beaches, art galleries and world-class food.
21. Mecca – Saudi Arabia (8,632.3 million)
Islam’s holiest city, (it’s the birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad and the faith itself), only Muslims are allowed to visit, and millions make an annual pilgrimage.
The top 20 most visited cities in the world…
20 Prague – Czech Republic (8,806.7 million)
Nicknamed “the City of a Hundred Spires,” Prague is an affordable option for many young travellers.
19. Mumbai – India (8,984.9 million)
Mumbai is an exciting, busy city with a vibrant nightlife scene and colonial buildings.
18. Guangzhou – China (9,004.8 million)
China’s third-biggest city has internationally renowned restaurants, striking buildings and mountain views.
17. Taipei – Taiwan (9,273.3 million)
Come to Taipei for its busy shopping streets and lively street-food scene.
16. Antalya – Turkey (9,482.4 million)
A famous Turkish resort city, Antalya continues to be a popular pick for holidaymakers looking to relax in the sun.
15. Rome – Italy (9,531.6 million)
Drink incredible wine, see the Vatican and the Colosseum in Italy’s must-visit city.
14. Tokyo – Japan (9,549.4 million)
Super busy but super exciting, Tokyo offers a look into the future of what every city could be like.
13. Delhi – India (10,157.0 million)
Made up of New Delhi and Old Delhi, this city never slows down. Enjoy the famous street food markets and buzz.
12. Istanbul – Turkey (10,730.3 million)
Istanbul is the country’s economic, cultural and historic centre.
11. Phuket – Thailand (11,613.1 million)
The island of Phuket has beautiful beaches, a pretty Old Town and five-star resorts, so it’s easy to see why so many people want to visit.
The ten most visited cities in the world….
10. Shenzhen – China (12,075.1 million)
Shenzhen links Hong Kong to China’s mainland and is a fantastic place to come to for designer shopping.
9. Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia (12,843.5 million)
Home to the famous Petronas Twin Towers, the skyline here at night is unforgettable. One of the worlds most visited cities are well worth a visit.
8. New York City – US (13,100.0 million)
Where to begin with the Big Apple? Each borough offers something different, from trendy Brooklyn to stylish Manhattan.
7. Dubai – UAE (15,790.0 million)
Dubai has burst onto the tourism scene with fancy resorts, outstanding museums and shopping malls and a luxury vibe.
6. Paris – France (15,834.2 million)
The City Of Love will continue to be one of the world’s most loved holiday destinations. Its biggest attractions? The Eiffel Tower and great cuisine.
5. Macau – Macau, China (17,337.2 million)
With the nickname, “Las Vegas of Asia”, Macau is a mega-popular casino city where everything is OTT.
4. Singapore – Singapore (17,618.8 million)
Singapore is home to the world’s most Instagrammable hotel, an exciting mix of cultures and state-of-the-art restaurants.
3. London – UK (19,827.8 million)
Big Ben, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace and means London stays front and centre.
2. Bangkok – Thailand (22,453.9 million)
A global hub that’s the gateway to the rest of Asia, Bangkok is famous for its Buddhist shrines, street shopping and local food.
1. Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China (27,880.3 million)
Hong Kong is a major shopping destination, famed for bespoke tailors and Temple Street Night Market.
Want to see more? Check out the articles below and don’t forget to share with your followers.